Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Write Stuff

This is a very cool writing meme, and I've been tagged by MG Higgins! Sorry it took me so long! It's a fun tag for us writing folk, so consider yourself tagged if you would like to post your answers on your blog, too!

1) What's the last thing you wrote? What's the first thing you wrote that you still have?
The last thing I wrote was a comment on a blog. I'm participating in the Comment Challenge, so I'm commenting even more than usual! I've found some great new blogs already!

I have poetry projects from fifth grade and eighth grade somewhere in my house. I need to find them. I have a cinquain about Duran Duran in there.

2) Write poetry?
Absofreakinglutely. I love poetry.

3) Angsty poetry?
I'm not an angsty person. Most of my poetry is fun. But I've written a few.

4) Favorite genre of writing?
So hard to choose. I love to write poetry. I have five picture book manuscripts completed (3 are poetry collections) and one chapter book manuscript. I hope to try YA one day...

5) Most annoying character you've ever created?
Cam the Ketchup (something I wrote for a Mustard Museum contest!)

6) Best plot you've ever created?
I'm still working on it!

7) Coolest plot twist you've ever created?
I like the sort of plot twist that I submitted for a short story contest recently.

8) How often do you get writer's block?
Occasionally, but thankfully not frequently.

9) Write fan fiction?
Nope.

10) Do you type or write by hand?
Both. Most of my poetry is by hand. Longer stories are typewritten.

11) Do you save everything you write?
Most of it!

12) Do you ever go back to an idea after you've abandoned it?
Yes, yes, yes, I do. I go back to ideas, how 'bout you?

13) What's your favorite thing you've ever written?
My rhyming rock 'n roll ABC book and my current WIP chapter book, Rock 'n Roll Princesses Wear Black.
Oh! And my Halloween parody picture book!

14) What's everyone else's favorite story you've written?
So far the Halloween parody picture book. It's very catchy. But I've had more people read that one, too.

15) Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?
No.

16) What's your favorite setting for your characters?
I generally do modern day.

17) How many writing projects are you working on right now?
2 - one poetry book I've set aside for a few months and finishing revisions on my chapter book

18) Have you ever won an award for your writing?
Not yet!

19) What are your five favorite words?
ginormous, fantabulous, ridonkulous, spathetic, awesomage
Oh, you mean real ones?

20) What character have you created that is most like yourself?
The mom in my chapter book

21) Where do you get your ideas for your characters?
Everything everywhere.

22) Do you ever write based on your dreams?
Usually not, but I recently dreamed the beginning of an interesting book. I have the general idea written down now in a notebook.

23) Do you favor happy endings?
Yes, but it's not mandatory.

24) Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?
Yes, I'm a former teacher!

25) Does music help you write?
No, because I end up singing to it. I do get ideas for poetry sometimes from songs though.

26) Quote something you've written. Whatever pops in your head.
"The bats go flying one by one..."